Jun 1, 2012

Films Without Cameras

At first I was skeptical of this project, being that it was experimental. While the theme of earth, fire,water, and air intrigued me, I was unsure how to even begin representing them with the materials supplied. But slowly, as I looked at the paints, inks, and sharp little metal objects ideas began to take shape. Blue ink blown downclear leader would represent water as it merged with green ink to show the merger of water and land. Along with a cracked desert through the use of crackle nail polish. Knowing what to expect with rayograms, I chose a selection of natural materials along with metals to mark my film. The real challenge for me came when attempting to design an animation. I am not an artistic
person when it comes to drawing by hand or drawing digitally. Yet in the end, the seemingly most difficult part of my project became the quickest and most simple. While attempting to portray the elements through poorly-drawn figures, I remembered back to my Japanese lessons from many years ago. Each kanji symbol isone of the elements. The kanji rearrange themselves into the next element, all followed by the kanji for the number one. Roughly alluding to the elements being one.

Overall, this first project, and my first time truly creating a cameraless film was very interesting as well as
rewarding. While initially I felt this project would be dull and boring, I see now how fascinating it is when viewing everyone's interpretations of the elements, and different manipulations of the same supplies. After this project, I will no longer be able to look at experimental film the same way again.








No comments:

Post a Comment